This year a total of 15 nominations were received from which 7 awards (including one supreme award) and 3 commendations were given.The awards panel made its decision on projects as varied as excellence in the refurbishment of a major heritage residence of last century, Daresbury to a creative website initiative based on the documentation of modern houses in Christchurch and the sustainability of the indigenous plants of Canterbury.Also included are awards to those who have maintained and operated successful commercial enterprise landmarks such as the Antigua Boat sheds and the former Addington Prison. In view of the damage wrought by the recent earthquake on poorly strengthened commercial buildings it is heartening to see how many have come though unscathed largely due to the efforts of committed owners.
Three such owners have deservingly received awards this year.
As in 2009 the common feature of the awards is that each project exhibits elements that strongly contribute to either urban heritage and environ-mental sustainability. Everyone receiving an award this year is worthy of acknowledgement for their contribution, initiative and effort to make both our built community and natural environment a better place in which to live.
Members of the awards panel for 2010 were: Neil Roberts (convener), Joanna Mackenzie, Jacquie Smith and Ian Clark .
Daresbury 67 Fendalton Rd
The Christchurch Civic Trust recognises the commitment to the excellent restoration and refurbishment of a significant Christchurch heritage home.
Daresbury was originally a 50 room house surrounded by 25acres of gardens
It was designed by Christchurch architect Samuel Hurst Seager [1855–1933] in the neo-Tudor Domestic Revival style for local wine and spirit merchant George Humphrey [1848 - 1934] The property remained in the ownership of the Humphrey and Kingscote families until 1985,and between 1940 and 1950 was the Governor General’s official residence in Christchurch. The house was initially completed in 1897 but had additions progressively built on up to 1910.
Until 1945 the property was called ‘Daresbury Rookery’ because of the rooks that roosted in a copse of blue gum trees planted on the property in 1862 when it was part of the Deans estate.
Over the years much of the property’s land was sold off and today the 3 storey mansion stands only on 0.7 hecatares .
The current owners were second time purchasers of Daresbury in 2009.Their commitment to revitalising this property has been unswerving. Their success in the the work they have done throughout is evidenced by the attention that they have paid to detail.
They have succeeded in making this a house that is liveable in the 20th century without compromising its essential heritage values.
Antigua Boat sheds
Awarded for the ongoing care of an important heritage building and for providing a unique recreation service beside the Avon River
Antigua boat sheds is the only surviving commercial boat sheds in New Zealand. It also still retains many of its original features.
It was built in 1882 by Albert Shaw and J.T.Tidd but their partnership dissolved five years later. In 1887, Shaw became the sole owner and operated the sheds until 1896, when it was sold to Samuel Anstey.
Anstey by 1904, had upwards of 70 boats available for hire.In May 1907, however, fire broke out and destroyed half the original structure and what was lost was replaced by a new double storey section built on the eastern end.
The sheds had several subsequent owners after Anstey until 1948, when it was bought by Bill Dini, who owned and managed them for 30 years.In 1978, they were purchased by Beverley Sheridan and Maurice Phipps, the mother and father in law of the present owners, Mike and Sally Jones.
Whilst the Jones own the boat sheds and run the cafe and boat hire business,part of the building is leased to Wesley Golledge, who operates a punting business.
In 2006, the sheds underwent major restoration with funding assistance from the Historic Places Trust and Christchurch City Council.
Jailhouse Accommodation 338 Lincoln Rd
Awarded for initiative in transforming a significant heritage building and the maximisation of complimentary commercial use.
The Christchurch Civic Trust is pleased to present this award to Grant Parrett and Kirsty Henderson for their enterprise in restoring and revitalising the former Addington Prison to new, viable use.
After the prison closed in 1996, its future was un-certain and initially there was a plan for Christchurch City Council to buy the site for an urban renewal project. Most of the prison had been demolished by 1999, but the 1874 prison block, designed by B.W.Mountfort survived and was purchased the following year by Ngai Tahu Property Ltd.
In 2000 Ngai Tahu Property Ltd sold the site to the current owners who renovated and restored the sur-viving prison building, which they opened in 2006 as budget backpacker accommodation.
In the process of their renovations Grant and Kirsty Henderson have taken particular care to retain as many of the original features of the former Addington Prison as possible, which makes this property a unique visitor experience.
Addington Prison was one of Christchurch’s earliest prisons for both remand and sentenced prisoners, dating from the first decade of settlement, but by the early 1870s, it was in need of renewal.
Construction of a new prison at Addington began in May 1872 and continued until 1874.In the years that followed the prison served as as special woman’s facility as well as an army base.
Motukarara Conservation Nursery and Resource Centre
Awarded in recognition of the development of a public facility that demonstrates how particular botanical species suit their regional eco systems, and offers such plants for sale.
Established more than 25 years ago within the Waihora Domain Motukarara, by the Department of Conservation, Motukarara nursery has made a signifi-cant contribution to the protection and survival of Canterbury’s ecology and the sustainability of its genetic purity.
The nursery not only propogates a wide diversity of Canterbury plants, but it makes many available to the public.Every year the seeds from 200 different species are collected from a variety of ecological sites. However it is perhaps the nursery’s resource unit that plays the major role in encouraging public awareness and interest in the restoration of the biodiversity of Canterbury.
To assist with this the resource unit has produced a number of publications. It has also developed special display gardens that include plants that represent and are natural to specific habitats in Canterbury, such as coastal areas,wetlands, lowland forests and subalpine areas as well as plains.
The success of the Motukarara Nursery and Resource Centre is unique in that it is self -funding and is the only one of its kind operating for the Department of Conservation.
Christchurch Modern.Co. NZ
Awarded in recognition of initiative and enterprise in documenting the modern domestic architecture of Christchurch
When he moved to live in Christchurch in 2006 Web designer Matt Arnold recognised that there was a distinctive Christchurch modern residential architec-tural style evident. He and his business partner Tim Kelleher had long been enthusiastic about modernist houses,but were frustrated by the fact that there had been very little documentation on the architectural history of these dwellings.
In there efforts to find out more, Matt and Tim began carrying out research and started a blog with the information they found. This went live in August 2008. Much of the information on residential modernist buildings Matt an Tim have gathered themselves to accompany the photographs that they have taken to post.
The outcome of that blog has been the more recent establishment of the database web site ‘Christchurch Modern’ christchurchmodern.co.nz.
The site is aimed at those who have a strong interest in architectural style and design, but are not seeking information that is difficult to access.
The Christchurch Civic Trust commends Matt and Tim for their initiative.
Cnr Colombo & Hereford St
Awarded for the retention & seismic upgrade of a heritage building on a key inner city corner site
The Christchurch Civic Trust has pleasure in awarding the Taranaki Savings Bank for its enterprise in retain-ing, refurbishing and seismic strengthening an impor-tant inner city character building.
Built in the early years of the twentieth century, the 3 storey building on the corner of Colombo and Here-ford St has had a variety of commercial use over the past century.
In 2009 a major restoration and seismic strengthening project was carried out that has given this building a new economic life, whilst retaining much of its original heritage identity.
In order to achieve such an outcome, TSB engaged the New Plymouth based Architects team Boon Gold-smith Bhaskar Bremner.
Hanham & Philp Contractors Ltd, Christchurch, were the principal contractors and achieved an innovative solution to the problem of seismic strengthening this building.
Although some modification has been made to the ground floor of the building, the exterior Colombo and Hereford St facades have been restored without change.
Kakariki Lane Residential Development, Clifton Christchurch
Awarded for the initiative to create a unique cooperative community project in a sustainable living environment
More than twenty years ago a group of five enthusiasts for a new kind of residential living got together to purchase in common a 7.83 ha block of wind-swept land on the steep north west slopes of Clifton Hill.
The progenitor of what was to become the Kakariki Lane residential development project was architect Roger Buck.
When the proposed project was placed before the Christchurch City Council it was hoped that it might become the model for future developments of new housing. The response was not encouraging and was initially rejected, as it did not conform to the rigid standards of the Resource Management Act and the Building Act and it took another 18 months before the group received approval to proceed and build.
Essentially the project centred around the principle that land subdivision should not dominate residential living and that, in fact, it was what was built that should take precedence.
In the Kakariki Lane project, land was purchased in common by a community with the plan that built forms would give definition to the landspace.
In addition, a particularly significant feature was environmental protection and enhancement, which involves careful management of stormwater,eco- friendly energy sustainability and retention of view aspects of the site. There was also an intention to progress the opportunity for substantial planting.
Although 2 decade have passed, 3 of the initial owners remain and the plan for just 5 residences has expanded with 2 more yet to be built. Today the success of this residential project is evident.
All houses have protected views and are energy efficient,all storm water is retained and many years of plant growth now attract a multitude of native NZ fauna.
The Christchurch Civic Trust is pleased to present this award to Roger Buck and the other residents who live on Kakariki Lane for their initiative.
153 – 157 High St Christchurch
Commendation for the significant commercial refurbishment and seismic upgrade of a heritage building
The Christchurch Civic Trust is pleased to commend KPI Rothchild Property Ltd for their refurbishmentand upgrading of a character building in south end of High Street.
The two storey commercial building at 153 – 157 Lower High St was built in 1905 as part 11 separated units that comprised what was once Duncan Buildings, and had a variety of commercial use over the past century. The building at 153 High St had the same kind of business activity for more than a century. Initially it was Thomson Bros, then from 1920 to 1970 Smith & Hodgson’s and, from 1970 Windsor Gallery.All were picture framers and art dealers.
During 2007/08, major restoration and seismic strengthening project was carried out by the current owners, that has given this two storey double brick building a new economic life whilst retaining much of its original heritage identity.
218 Cashel St
Commendation for the retention of an original façade that provides continuity of heritage presence in an inner city streetscape
Built in 1882 for the New Zealand Farmers Coop-erative of Canterbury, this building was for many decades one of Christchurch’s major department stores. In 2007 the property was extensively damaged by fire and during 2008 most of the building was demolished. However, the original features of the Cashel St facade was retained and restored by the current owner.
The Christchurch Civic Trust commends the Rapaki Property Group for maintaining a heritage presence in this part of Cashel St.
Te Aranga Ensors Rd Opawa
Commendation in recognition of renovation and revitalisation of a heritage building
Te Aranga [Pathway] was first built as The Domestic Girls’ Hostel which was a training facility at which domestic duties and home economics were taught.
The hostel which opened in 1913,was designed by T.B.Bowring, in the Arts and Crafts style. Bowring was at that time head of Christchurch Technical College’s building department.
Construction was carried out by Andrew Swanston with the assistance of Christchurch Technical College building trainees.
The 3 year long renovation and refurbishment of Te Aranga began in 2006 and cost $1,25 million. Funding assistance for this work was received from the NZ Government,Otautahi Trust.and local industry.
The Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology managed the project and HRS Construction was the refurbishment contractor. Students and trade teaching staff also contributed to painting and decorating furniture, joinery and the finishing of internal walls on first floor level.
Work was completed in September 2009.
During the renovations the triple brick walls were extensively earthquake-strengthened. Many original architectural features have been retained including a distinctive entry parquet floor and oak panelling. The more recent furnishings that have been added are in keeping with the Arts and Craft style.